Monday, December 3, 2007

What a whimp!

I had a scary, yet angering experience last week. I went to Walmart about 1/2 mile from my house and was waiting in the self checkout line when I noticed the guy in front of me taking software out of a box and trying to hide the box behind stuff on shelves in the line. I wasn't positive that I saw right, but I'm sure he knew that I noticed because I was right there! I pretended I didn't notice, but I could feel my face turn bright red. I also watched him move the envelope with the software to several different places in his cart to try to hide it better. When he went to pay for the other item in his cart he didn't have the extra 56 cents he needed so he called over the woman who helps the self check-out customers and she called another worker over, but they either didn't notice or didn't care! I feel bad that I wasn't brave enough to say something to him and I even waited til he was out of view before I grabbed a worker and told him that I was pretty sure that guy had stolen some software. I'm not even sure if they caught him, but I was super scared as I left the store and got into my car. I kept looking to make sure no one was following me. (This isn't easy to do when strapping a toddler in a carseat.) You may think I'm paranoid, which I am, but let me defend myself by saying that there was a shooting (possibly gang related) at this same Walmart in the middle of the day just a few months ago. I was also angry because I had heard that shoplifting is a problem, but I'd never seen someone in action. He must have thought I was ok with what he was doing. That angered me too, but not enough to make me say something. Anyway, maybe someday I'll get some guts and be able to tell the guy to his face that stealing is wrong.

4 comments:

Cameron and Shannon said...

I could totally see myself doing the same thing. I would hate to have been in the situation you were in.

Melissa Brown said...

wow, crazy! since i worked in retail for so many years it makes me so angry when people steal since i know how much it effects things. But i understand about you holding back. I was never afraid of people before I had Carter. Now i wory about putting us in danger or things like that. He's a thief! Who cares if he thought you were okay with it he probably was thinking about himself anyways and not you. I'm glad you're are okay!

Ginger and Gregg said...

I don't blame you for not saying anything. We are talking about a South Phoenix WalMart here! I would have done the same thing.
-ginger

Arlene Racker said...

HI Carly, Addison looks so cute!!!! She is growing up so fast. I can't wait to see you and Addison next week. About the shoplifter you did the right thing. Telling someone at the store was the right thing to do. You don't need to tell someone that is stealing that it is wrong, they already know it. But you did the honest thing by letting the store know. Now if this was a friend or family I believe you have an obligation to try and talk to them but a complete stranger I do not think is best thing to do and this is coming from someone that has had to confront people in very uncomfortable situations. I love you!!!! MOM